Sunday 2 June 2013

Make You As Lonely As Me

There's no way of dancing or prancing or hopping around the bush with this subject.
Fact is: I went to church last night and I liked it. No, correction - I loved it.

People get too touchy on this subject. The subject of religion, belief in God and the love of fellowship.
I mean, if you were to dye your hair purple and someone laughed at you and asked why you did it, you'd shrug it off and defensively say 'Because I like it.' Why can't it be like that with Jesus? Why is there a stigmata upon those who choose to have a belief and follow their moral compass? Take a trip across the water from any modern western culture to somewhere like Italy where everybody is a religious fruit-loop. They'd consider you an outsider if you didn't believe in God and go to church.

Proverbs 13:20 says:
'He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed.'

Basically comes back to the idea that you become like the people you associate with. If you constantly associate with non-Christians then naturally, your walk with God will become more like a delayed picnic in the park that you have no intention of organising. However, if you surround yourself with like-minded people who live out their beliefs and worship God with what they said and how they act then you're more likely to draw closer to God because you're surrounded by good influences. The same goes for partners,

2 Corinthians 6:14 says:
'Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?'

This teaches us not to have the most important person in our life a non-believer. At the end of the day, who are you most likely to follow and become like? God, or the man/woman that you love? He should be the biggest part of our life, we should be able to share Him with the person we love the most. If you were to surround yourself by the general populace, 9 times out of 10 the chances are you won't get a convicted Christian as a spouse but a sceptical atheist.

It's not until I lived a lonely life and had contact with only people of the world that I realised just how far from Jesus I'd gotten. My solution had been to turn to alcohol to temporarily blur the issues I had instead of opening a bible and handing them over to God. To find peace, the comfort of my Saviour beats any crude jokes my colleagues could spit at me to take my mind off issues. I need to realise that I cannot solve my problems, only God can.

I have to find my way back. I know in my heart, my being, that I'm not right with God and I know that it's not a change I can make overnight. I'm fully aware that I might stumble every day and choose the world over Him, but he deserves that I try.

It can only be described as a miracle that I met some people last night who took me under their wing in an excessively large social situation and showed me what it was like to have a normal conversation and be happy, smart, everyday people that still had the undying faith in our Lord. I hope I don't isolate myself again in a tiny room in my head with the devil nitpicking at every good thought that comes to me.


Excuse the confusing analogy's, excessive rambling and cliche epiphany's. I like it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment