Friday 19 October 2012

The Truth

"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife." - Jane Austen

I've found this statement true not only with wealthy men but with the less fortunate also. The only exception to this general rule is the middle class. The ones that think they've got it all!
It seems it's always the middle class that, when given the opportunity to experience the 'party life' or 'social scheme' they deny marriage as being of any value to their long term plans and more of a hindrance than a help. I'm not sure why this is as statistically proven middle class men are more prone to being faithful to their partners (the term 'partner' is used rather loosely) then the less fortunate or well off.
It makes my head spin. My man is in the middle class... and although I believe with all my heart (if such a thing exists) that he is and will be faithful to me, he has no positive comments to make on the subject of two people saying the vow 'I do.' I hear that is has no value and is an unnecessary commitment to make when you both already know that you love each other. When first brought up in conversation it wasn't dropped for a number of days until I agreed alongside him that marriage was an unnecessary formality and that two people can be quite happy without sharing the last name. Oh please.

Perhaps it's me having concerns about the future and wanting the 'official commitment' to be made, just so I'm aware of how far he really is willing to go for me. At this stage in life, I thought I'd be further along than I am, but realistically I'm right back where I started; four years old and setting up a baby nursery in the corner of my room, using Barbie's man Ken as the father.

After mulling over this issue in my head for the better part of 2 months I think I've finally had to come to that peace of mind that, I'm with this man for better or for worse because I love him and with or without the vows, my commitment to him in my head and my heart outweighs that which can be spoken aloud with words. He is my forever and I will stick by him through thick and thin until maybe one day he realises that out of anything he can do to make me happy, a ring on my finger would be the icing on the cake.

Or is that the cherry?

No comments:

Post a Comment